zaterdag 1 september 2012

Deborah Poynton in Kokanje

Onder de titel 'Kokanje' vond eerder dit jaar in Johannesburg een grote tentoonstelling plaats van het werk van de Zuidafrikaanse schilderes Deborah Poynton.
Ze schrijft daarover: "In the Land of Cockaigne every wish was granted. I have used this title not because I wanted to illustrate paradise, but because painting itself is that land of never-realised fulfillment. Every painting I do comes from the same need to inhabit this land, to create a sense of engulfment, of complete enclosure, to blind and deafen and numb myself through the senses in order to find some peace. I persist with the image until no uncertainty remains within it, and I am thus provided with the illusion of certainty." Dat geldt wellicht ook voor dit indringende werk (200 x 300 cm) dat afkomstig is uit de DSB-bankcollectie en uiterst voordelig te koop komt bij Christie's. Hier afgebeeld is een detail.